Sunday, January 24, 2010

Oh so now we're supposed to care...

Okay..I'm sorry.
It was not really my intent to turn this into an "anti-Haiti" blog.
That was not really my intention at all.
And you can call me cynical or unsympathetic or just plain mean and hateful.
BUT that being said:
I am having a REALLY hard time with all of this fund-raising and "help the Haitians" rhetoric, especially the celebrities who are suddenly so compassionate about Haiti.
Six months ago NO ONE COULD HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT HAITI.
People were living in poverty, barely scratching out an existence.
No one gave a flying fig about the corruptions and the poverty, the lack of decent medical care, poor nutrition and general desperation of the population.
It wasn't even a blip on the radar screen.
If all of this support and all of this money had been funneled into Haiti and been properly used (and not stolen and exploited by the local gangs and thugs) the place may not be the cesspool that it is.
But Nooooooooo.
Six months ago, no one was doing telethons and fund raisers.
Six months ago NO ONE CARED ABOUT HAITI.
So NOW, we're supposed to care?

Give me a break.
Cynical...maybe I am.
Hypocritical? No. I refuse to say I care when I really don't.
Honest? Yeah.
Politically correct? Obviously not.

No comments:

Post a Comment